The third stage of the 72nd version of the Spanish stage race Cycling race.
The breakaway of the day consisted of eight people, the main group swallowed up on the descent from the mountain the first category Rabassa. Peloton had to climb to the summit of the second category and down to the finish.
The British team Sky led by Chris Froome on the final mountain of the day, gave a serious check to the competitors. The pace froome was able to maintain only Esteban Chaves from “Orica-Scott”, but on the descent the two leaders get Fabio Aru and Romain bardet.
For 800 meters to go, froome tried to escape from fellow travelers, then immediately it became clear that during the stage of struggle will lead not four riders, and more than 10. The last kilometer the group of leaders caught up with another formation, headed by Vincenzo nibali. The captain is the “Bahrain-Merida” and became the winner of stage – the Italian chose the optimum moment to attack and retained the necessary power to the finish line.
Froome became the new overall leader is four – time winner of the Tour de France ahead of nearest rival by just two seconds.
Results third stage:
1. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy, Bahrain-Merida) – 4:01,22
2. David de La Cruz (Spain, Quick-Step Floors)
3. Christopher Froome (UK, Sky)
4. Romain bardet (France, AG2R La Mondiale)
5. Esteban Chaves (Colombia, Orica-Scott)
Overall standings after the third stage:
1. Christopher Froome (UK, Sky) – 8:53,44
2. David de La Cruz (Spain, Quick-Step Floors) – 0,02
3. Nicolas Roche (Ireland, BMC)
4. TJ van Garderen (USA, BMC)
5. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy, Bahrain-Merida) – 0,10
In the fourth stage of the Vuelta organizers have prepared for riders of 198 kilometers with one third category mountain, the many hills and the finish line, the sprinters generalist.
© 2017 – 2019, paradox. All rights reserved.