One day in may 1979, in Odessa, began shooting “the meeting Place cannot be changed”.
This series of Soviet television movie directed by Stanislav Govorukhin based on the novel brothers Weiner “Era of mercy” are rightly included in the lists of favorite movies Soviet viewers. From today’s issue you’ll learn how the shooting took place in iconic paintings.
The film “meeting Place cannot be changed”, as we know, staged on the novel by brothers Arkady and Georgy Vainer “Era of mercy”. And the book was the court case of candidate of medical Sciences Yevgeny Ilyich Mirkin, who in 1944 was charged with the murder of his wife and sentenced to death. Merovci professionally carried out their work, although all the evidence was against Mirkin. After the sentencing, investigators dug additional material proving the innocence of the doctor, and Mirkin was acquitted.
1. Vainer brothers told me that the idea of creating a screenplay of their novel suggested Vysotsky. For him writers even went to change the appearance of the hero: the Roman Zheglov was tall and broad-shouldered, handsome.
2. That’s what it says Arkady Vainer:
I’ve come to stake out zheglova! No you will not play zheglova the way I play!
And my liver hurts and in General character quite sarcastic, so I said to him:
— Well, I have no one…
And who plays?!
— Well, let’s start with Nikolai Gubenko. Courageous, beautiful, flexible, talented… What’s wrong Zheglov?
— You know, you’re right, he’s a great actor…
— Well, now raging everywhere is a new star Sergei Shakurov, so beautiful, so charming, than not Zheglov?
— At-at! And I forgot… And he will play zheglova…
Then I sat on the chair, because still no one artist I’ve never heard that it can assume that someone will play his role better than him. Vysotsky stood perekachivanie from foot to foot.
— Yes, he played better…
— But you do something with Zhora better not, you need so as soon as I play!
Then I laughed, hugged him.
— Of course, Volodya, no questions asked!
3. Zheglov, fotoproba
Says Sergei Govorukhin: “Volodya I could adopt without trial, because for me, like all of us, it was clear that this role should only play it. But that was in the days when he had never appeared on television, and here is such an odious figure in a series of movie! So I made this role a few samples of other actors who obviously could not compete with Vysotsky. And when shown the samples I showed these samples, which were of course much worse samples Vysotsky. The boss is very convinced”.
4. Sharapov, fotoproba
But about the role player Sharapova has launched a bullfight. The role auditioned for Alexander Abdulov, Sergey Nikonenko, Evgeniy Leonov-Gladyshev (who played the role of Wani Vekshina), Yuri Shlykov, Alexander Kurapov and even Stanislav Sadalsky… You Viners wanted to invite Evgeny Gerasimov. He refused because of employment in another film. Govorukhin invited to audition Sergei Ivanov (the famous “Grasshopper” and Lariosik). But he also could not, as starred Gregory Kohana in the film “Born by revolution”. The result Sharapov, to the great displeasure of Weiner, was Vladimir Konkin.
5. Sharapov and Zheglov, fotoproba
Vysotsky from the very beginning the role of Sharapova “promoted” his friend and colleague on the theatre of Ivan Bortnik, who eventually played thug Blotter (pictured first fotoproba Vysotsky (with a mustache) on the role of zheglova and J. Bortnik for the role of Sharapova).
6. Cooking, fotoproba
It was a record number of contenders for the main female role — auditioned 12 girls. Varey could be, for example, Irina Azer from Theater actor and Olga Naumenko (bride Lukashina of “twist of fate”). Vysotsky also tried to persuade the Director Govorukhin adopt the role of Vari his wife, actress Marina Vlady. But against the French strongly objected to the arts Council. Sergeant Sinichkina had to show in the movie real wife and girlfriend wrestler with the bandits. I wish the actress playing his beloved Sharapova was impeccable reputation. Vladi and not pulling on a “Soviet citizen”. The Council accepted with Vysotsky in the role of zheglova, paying tribute to his talent but rejected Vlady.
7. Fox, fotoproba
No less interesting is to find an actor for the role of Fox. “First, I adopted Boris Khimichev, — says Stanislav Govorukhin. And now, when meeting him, you feel a sense of unease. We have already started filming, and suddenly I saw him modern. And Belyavsky, who played no better Himicheva, purely from that time.” By the way, the candidacy of Alexander Beliavsky suggested again Vysotsky. To Moscow from Odessa, flew a telegram: “I Hope for your response, offer the role of Fox in the film “Era of mercy”. Believe that he will not refuse”. But in Moscow, Alexander Borisovich was not. He had just received six acres in the village Yershovo and was going to improve. But when I learned that the film stars Jurassic, Vysotsky, Konkin and Dzhigarkhanyan, threw the spade and got on a plane…
8. Levchenko, fotoproba
Not without the help of Vysotsky starred in the film and Pavlov, the role of the artist Levchenko. “Shoot, I was offered Vladimir Vysotsky. The role of a former soldier, now a lost man was not very big, but extremely important to understand the overall system picture. Vladimir Vysotsky said to me: “Agree — Director of you not familiar, the role will make as you see”. And so it happened. I had a lot of creative satisfaction from participation in the filming of the movie “meeting Place cannot be changed”.
9. Manka the Bond, fotoproba
Larisa Udovichenko was invited for the role of Varya, but the actress wanted to play Manka the Bond, since the image was more interesting. “Or Manka the Bond, or I will not play!” As a result, only Udovichenko and went to Bonds. After the movie, she began to receive letters from prison: “do Not cry! Will — my will!” — and one returned from the area came to her house, so I had to call the police.
10. Soloviev, fotoproba
Thanks Vysotsky came into the picture and V. Abdulov, the actor of Solovyov. “In the early autumn of 1977, I crashed the car literally to death. Three weeks unconscious — a complete nightmare. Then one hospital, second, third, fourth. At first, doctors in General, I have not approached — he knew that the case is fatal and there is no chance. But I… somehow didn’t want to die! I understood nothing, but tried to explain to them that after all I’ll live! And when in the spring I was in another hospital after a major operation, came Volodya, with the Glory Govorukhin. They gave me 5 volumes of scenario “meeting Place”. And realizing that I can’t remember, was left on a piece of paper a list of roles — any me a choice. I chose Solovyov. Was terrible shooting. I could not remember the text. Couldn’t remember the film name is Gleb. But for me, just was a question: either I will continue to live and work, either — all… terrible time. And on stage I had moments of complete “cutting” — not that I forgot, I just couldn’t figure out where you are!..”
11. Gregory Usepin (photographer, “6 to 9”), fotoproba
Gregory Useven, photographer, “6 to 9” — Lev Perfilov A.: “…And govoruhina group I was just. Once I was in the same frame with Govorukhin: he played a white General Dutov, and I was the chief of staff of the White army. Can’t remember the name of the film, it was shot in Odessa. Some another film about the revolution, they differed little from each other. And before that I read the book “Era of mercy” and heard Glory be to remove. And I asked him the role of one of the bandits “Black cat”, because before that enough of the bandits were like that! And so I Glory say: “I have nothing to do in the picture will not. I will only go out among the gang and all. And be clear: once this type of gang is it still the same gang!” And Govorukhin, you know, something like that wearily waved his hand: “come on, you the other standing. Going to play my Grisha Six-by-Nine”. And left.”
12. Kolya Taraskin, fotoproba
Kolya Taraskin — Grad Andrey Petrovich: “I was very happy when I found out who will be playing: Vysotsky, Evstigneev, Dzhigarkhanyan, bielawski, Jurassic, Gerdt. As for me, it was only the third picture (a little experience), I carefully watched how they play, learn… First I was offered the role of John Vekshina, which, if you remember, almost immediately on the bench kill. I was upset: “What is it? I will appear for a few moments and will bolt”. And luckily for me the administration of my mind. Vekshina eventually played Zhenya Leonov-Gladyshev, and I was given the role Taraskina. The energetic nature of it was clearly scripted, and I think nothing had to.”
13. Vekshin, fotoproba
Vasya Vekshin — Evgeny Borisovich Leonov-Gladyshev, “Well, at that time the artists got the role in the film? I was shot at Odessa film Studio in one of the main roles in the adventure film Samvel Gasparov “Forget the word “death.” I was asked to read the script for “the meeting Place cannot be changed”, the name I then nothing to say, but after reading, I saw that there is a beautiful drama. At first, I was offered the role of the protagonist — Volodya Sharapova, but then the screen test, the arts Council approved Vladimir Konkin, who played this role… With this picture I have two strong impressions, despite my rather modest participation in it: pleasant and unpleasant. Unpleasant is what I auditioned for the role of Sharapova and has not been approved; have not experienced that yet and because I liked the script, and “Era of mercy”, a novel by Vainer brothers, in which it was made. I really wanted and was ready to play. Nice — I got the part, and knew that the film will be removed Vladimir Vysotsky, the man on whose works I was brought up and was a fan of his talents.”
14. Ruchechnik, fotoproba
The role of Ruchechnik got, Evgeny Evstigneev, but it could play and Rolan Bykov, which Viners initially invited for the role of the hunchback, the leader of the gang.
15. Photoprobe on the role of an operative of the Pasyuk
16. Photoprobe on the role of the driver of the bread van Mule
17. And a few facts about the film. Says Stanislav Govorukhin: “may 10, 1978 — the first day of shooting. The birthday of Marina Vlady. We’re in Odessa, at the cottage of our friend. And here’s the surprise. Marina takes me to another room, locks the door, with tears asks: “Let Volodya, shoot another actor”. And Volodya: “Look, I have so little left, I can not spend year of life for this role!” Obviously, he saw the amount of work and realized that you need to work hard. In addition, a year has passed since the moment we decided to shoot the film. During this time, much has changed — Vysotsky have the opportunity to travel abroad more often. Before it creaked released in France two days, but now he could travel around the world. I knew that picture would still be, even with a different actor, but still convinced Vysotsky to stay, promising him to go often during the filming. How much would lose viewers if I gave up this evening.”
18. Vysotsky and Kuravlev playing avid billiard players, do not know how to “roll balls”. For them the cue in his hands he held the inhabitant of Odessa Vladimir Ivanov, master of sport of the USSR, even then, the former is one of the best billiard players of Odessa. The balls beat Vysotsky and Kuravlev, and then was done field joints balls were shoved into the pocket wizard.
19. The film “meeting Place cannot be changed” was to begin with the prologue, where Levchenko endured injured Sharapova. Drenched to the actors, take after take, climbed into the cold water. When finished shooting, Konkin saw on the back of a Pavlova marks from cans. He just got up from a hospital bed after pneumonia.
20. Heroic prologue to the picture and was not included. The Director realized that, if at the beginning of the film to show Levchenko together with Sharapov, disappears detective intrigue 5 series, when a police detective enters the gang. In General, the administration initially took a seven-serial film. The Director failed to keep all the footage. Lapin, the then President of the radio and television, demanded two series to throw. And they were cut from the finished film. Not to spoil the tape by the mechanical removal of whole scenes, cut in small fragments and episodes. Managed to cut the movie in two hours of screen time. Many interesting things had to be cut. After installation, all the deleted scenes, the Director put into the archive of the Odessa film Studio, where they, unfortunately, happily lost.
21. When filming the chase scene with the Fox, Vysotsky on the set was not. The viewer hears only the voice zheglova, and it was recorded in the Studio. The scene in the movie “car chase” take a few minutes. Stanislav Govorukhin says: “at the very beginning of filming we agreed with Vladimir Vysotsky, which will give him a chance to rest. Those few weeks while he filmed footage of the chase, Volodya spent in foreign travel. He appeared only at the very end and worked for a couple of hours. Remember shots: Zheglov breaks a glass “Ferdinand” and, leaning out, firing at the departing “Studebaker” with the bandits?..” “This time such a mistake happened — I remembered the main operator series Leonid Burlaka. — No advance always, and the glass in the window of the bus was almost 5 mm thickness. When they started shooting the episode, Volodya times got hit, the other — to no avail. Finally, on the third try landed. And then he cried angrily: “Well, n…n!” Look, he’s got his hand in the blood: on the finger of a very deep cut from the fragment. But the evening of the day Vysotsky was to speak with another concert already and the car was waiting. But in the end had to cancel the speech, as Vladimir couldn’t play the guitar.”
22. According to the scenario, it was assumed that Vysotsky in each series will be singing. Among the proposed songs were “For the people of Moore”, and “Song about the end of the war,” and “the Ballad of childhood”. “He really wanted to sing some of his songs — continues the Director — but I thought that it would ruin the image and the painting appears is no longer the captain Zheglov and Vladimir Vysotsky in the role of captain zheglova. Volodya took offense, we were fighting. And once, when I asked him to sing in his next song, he replied: “If you don’t want to sing their own, don’t sing and Vertinsky”.
23. Difficulties on the set were many. When filming night police chase part of the territory near the Grand theatre was cordoned off, and yet sometimes fans broke through the fence. Somehow during the break, the crew heard a scream one night. Rushed into the darkness and saw Vysotsky, who was trying to tear a young woman, she dug her teeth into his leather coat (probably from an overabundance of feelings). Well, that coat was from the domestic firm the skin.
24. Part of the film was shot in Odessa, and Wysocki had two or three times a day to fly to Moscow for the show and back. Vysotsky did not abandon the theatre. The police took him to the “Volga” with the siren, and the makeup artist on the road turned zheglova in hamlet. And after the performance, sometimes the mail plane, next to a stack of Newspapers, the artist flew to Odessa for a morning shoot.
25. A. Weiner: “Clothing for your character choosing costume warehouse on the Odessa film Studio Vysotsky himself with our costume designer Akimova. Things were looking a long time and very carefully. The inevitable mid-1940s, elements of the military uniform: riding breeches, boots. And yet — a jacket, shirt-Aloha, stripe jumper… Around dressed like the famous movie character al Pacino in one of the films that really liked to Volodya…”
26. Creating zheglova, Vysotsky for the first time, that is, broke loose. And gasp, showed unprecedented on set the will of the creative order. He tells the other workers “specificity”, he dictated his behavior in the frame of the rhythm of the whole episode. And one day, as they say, in the absence of the Director himself took consecutive shots with a “gesture” — the gesture zheglova, which seems to remember all of it, thumb in the air on the plane. From the side it might seem — the stunt man. But mounting the allocation of these personnel gave some meaning and a plastic rod is not only the role, but the film as a whole. Vysotsky has never made this gesture for nothing. He pinpointed the times when this gesture Zheglov briefly declares his innocence and the beginning of action.
27. Says I. Bortnik: “How was filming the scene of the exit from the basement? After the play, “Fallen and the living” Volodya drove to the scene of the shooting by the Yauza gate. It’s just two minutes drive away. Govorukhin is dark, swearing. There was no episode: all out, throw in silence the guns, dull, gray, monotonous… Stanislav said to me: “Look, I know you’ll figure something out”. And time is running out. We went with him down to the basement to change. And then I came up with the idea… It was all a surprise. At the exit of the basement, I hysterically sang the rogue song, was the fire of the guards, kicking them… Neither the administration nor Volodya did not expect it. Surprise Volodya even suddenly lost seriousness, and smiled. And I got so into the role that spat Zheglova in the face. He was dumbfounded, wiped… And I’m already being flooded on them: “Garbage bitch…” But also the inadequacy of the guards behaved. I must say that Govorukhin found for this episode of real police officers in those years, long since retired. They were dressed in post-war form and brought to the shoot. And what happened to them! They seem to understand that I’m an actor, but suddenly there was something in their minds: what if not an actor? Suddenly the real criminal? They’ve probably got everything mixed up, and they began to beat me, wringing his hands so I just yelled from the pain. And they shout: “Oh, you foul creature, Yes we’re here and crush!”
28. “…Well, I’ll tell you, it was scary. And spectators gathered outside the fence of the set, applauded us. Of course, all of this is then cut out, because in those days the footage, in which a criminal spits in the face of “authorities”, could not be admitted to the audience. Deputy interior Minister Nikitin, film consultant, said, “what is this character? Remove. Not tomorrow every yard will stand for the Blotter”. …All the jargon was removed. “Raspberries,” remember? There is first of all at the table show, then individually. Then the bandits went to sleep. But I have a game were molested passion Hunchback, climbed to her, her name was somewhere drunk grunt. But the actress began to laugh openly, and nothing of this scene did not happen…”
29. From the memoirs of S. Govorukhin: “the Book Vysotsky, too, very much. When we wrote the Director’s script, he came to us in Peredelkino, took part in the work. In particular, Volodya came up with a story with a picture Vari, glued on the door among other photographs, when the scene in the basement had to give Sharapova a sign — to indicate the door leading to salvation.”
30. “He’s been thinking about directing. I wanted the screen to Express their view on life. The opportunity presented itself. I urgently needed to go to the festival, and I am joyful relief that gave him the directing rod. When I returned, the band greeted me with the words: “He tortured us!”
31. “Long accustomed to the rocking of employees of the group, at first stunned by his unprecedented demands. Usually, after what? “Why aren’t we shooting?” — “Shh, let tune. The Director should think about it.” Vysotsky camera started to spin in a few minutes after he entered the pavilion. Facility for a week of filming, was ready in four days. He would in my absence had removed the whole picture, if they’d let him”.
32. “He, rushing their horses to the edge of the abyss, had no right to waste a single minute. On the other hand, he entered the pavilion is absolutely ready to work, always in a good mood and were infected with their energy and confidence all participants of the shooting. In this short sample it was easy to imagine him in the role of Director of the big picture”.
33. “A consultant on the movie was the Deputy Minister of internal Affairs of the USSR Lieutenant-General K. I. Nikitin. He requested that Zheglov at least once appeared on the screen in a police uniform. This request I had to fulfill, because what I expected to be able to leave, for example, the scene where Zheglov throws in the pocket of the Bricks purse, and indeed expected, the enormous difficulties we face in the delivery of the painting. But Vysotsky was adamant: “No, I will not wear for anything!” For him, the policeman of the Stalin era was associated with those people who did that terrible iniquity. He had heard so much about it and it hurt so much worried that everything that had to do with the police, not stand on the spirit. And then I had to give him a scene where he stands at the mirror in his uniform and says about this text:
— Here, Sharapov, my home clothes, like pajamas.
Why? — asks Sharapov.
— Yes, because never wore, but probably won’t bear”.
34. From the memoirs of L. perfilova: “Why was it easy to play in this film? Because the Glory has given us the opportunity to improvise. Sometimes he came and said: “I don’t know how to shoot it. Let’s try that, guys.” And we all started to try to offer him something, so he’s like are kneaded, kneaded, kneaded… And then said, “well, shoot, guys, we’ll here it is. Get ready”. Always calm like this…”
35. From the memoirs of L. perfilova: “the First time the directing team “Action!” on the set of the TV series “the meeting Place cannot be changed” was made in the glorious city of Odessa, in the Park of culture and rest… because of the lack of ventilation in the billiard-room to smoke it was impossible, and we periodically were given fifteen-minute break. Coming on the air in one of these breaks, I saw standing close to Marina Vlady with some woman.
We politely said Hello, smiled at each other, and, naturally, I decided to go back to call of Vysotsky. But he appeared at the door himself, and saw the Marina and, instead of rush to her and me from prying eyes… danced on the porch billiard room. It was some strange, chaotic, joyful dance, similar to the “Gypsy”, and “bullseye” with the tap dance, shouting, some enthusiastic cheers. Marina Vlady smiled. And I’m waiting for what’s next? And Vysotsky effectively ended the dance, spread his arms widely, laughed… and went to the pool hall. Marina Vlady and her companion went to the nearest bench, sat down, and about something quietly talking…”
36. “…Remember, Kuravlev Vysotsky playing pool… Charm kuravleva works perfectly, one smile is worth a lot. But the Director wanted it played not just a charming thief, and the thief in the law, thieves habits and appropriate patter. Kuravlev, rehearsing, unusually moved, unusually spoke, changed gait, “savetofile”… It was funny and sad, it seems unlikely. And then Vysotsky suddenly, all improvised. He spoke with such precise thieves intonations, expressive move… It is not pretended, did not play. Everybody laughed, Kuravlev the loudest. “You can shoot! he said. — I’m ready.” The scene was filmed on one breath, immediately business-like and fun. Two talented men met in work and were satisfied with each other. Vysotsky was the tuning fork against which one sounded in unison, others out of tune…”
37. Vladimir Vysotsky: “about the painting “the meeting Place cannot be changed” I’m not going to give an interview. And not because I have nothing to say… This film we made with friends, clan. I enjoyed the work, not pleasure, and bathed in some aspects of the role. And I will say no more”.
38. The film was completed in 1979 and first aired on the day the police, gathering millions of viewers. It was noted that during his subsequent impressions dropped… consumption of municipal water.
39. But despite the universal acclaim the series received awards. Only the Minister of internal Affairs of the USSR BP
© 2017, paradox. All rights reserved.