British rider “Sky” Geraint Thomas won a heavy mountain stage and took the lead in the General standings of the Tour de France.
Thomas almost the entire stage is spent in the group of main contenders for the yellow Jersey. Only on the last climb, the British rushed to the attack and quickly managed to be among the leaders of the stage. 250 meters to go, Thomas made a decisive push and took the win from Spaniard Mikel Nieve, who on the final mountain of the day to escape from the companions of separation.
Thomas won a second victory on the “Big loop”, and once again donned the yellow Jersey. Last year the Briton was the leader in the General standings from first to fourth stage.
The leader of the General classification, Greg van Avermat lost almost 30 minutes and fell back to 27th position.
The results of the 11th stage:
1. Geraint Thomas (Great Britain, Sky) – 3:29,36
2. Tom Dumoulin (Netherlands, Team Sunweb) – 0,20
3. Christopher Froome (UK, Sky)
4. Damiano Caruso (Italy, BMC) – 0,22
5. Mikel Nieve (Spain, Mitchelton-Scott)
Overall standings after 11 stages:
1. Geraint Thomas (Great Britain, Sky) – 44:06,16
2. Christopher Froome (UK, Sky) – 1,25
3. Tom Dumoulin (Netherlands, Team Sunweb) – 1,44
4. Vincenzo Nibali (Italy, Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team) – 2,14
5. Primoz Roglic (Slovenia, Team LottoNL-Jumbo) Is 2.23
Tomorrow the Tour de France Royal mountain stage with finish on the famous mountain of the highest category of Alpe d’huez with a length of 13.8 kilometers with an average gradient of 8.1%.
© 2018, paradox. All rights reserved.