Any journey to Kiev, for a person caught for the first time in our city starts with downtown. And without Khreshchatyk Bessarabian market can not be present.
The market building was built in 1910-1912 by the architect Henry guy for money famous Kyiv sugar magnate Jew Lazar Brodsky, bequeathed after his death. Open 3 (16) of July, 1912.
The name of the market dates back to Bessarabia, a region conquered by the Russian Empire from Turkey during the Russian-Turkish wars, and located partially on the territory of Ukraine in the Odessa region.
The place where now is located the market, it was only ennobled in 1869, Before the city center was a wasteland. It is constantly filled with water running from all the surrounding hills (did not save even the “pipe” laid out for the reception of sewage and all sewage) and was littered with household waste.
The place was famous for the fact that there was going to tramps and people hunted robbery and robbery. To appear in the district of Basarabeasca in the evening was dangerous. On the former site of a vacant lot with a bad reputation organized area where you planned to install the monument to Bogdan Khmelnitsky. Trading in the area was conducted before construction of the building of the market. By the beginning of the twentieth century. Bessarabska developed into a commercial area, entirely covered with a variety of trade stands. Cartage poured into independence square from Khreschatyk and Bibikovskii Boulevard.
By 1902 it became apparent that trade in the area need to be streamlined. Logical, this was done by building covered market. The cost of construction was estimated at 500, 000. despite the fact that the entire city budget was $ 2, 000, 000.
In 1904 died the largest sugar magnate Lazarus Brodsky, who bequeathed to the Kiev 500 thousand rubles for the construction of the indoor market.
We offer readers a number of rare photographs of Bessarabskiy market.
© 2017 – 2019, z-news.link. All rights reserved.