“Golden spike” was very popular.
Zolotoy Kolos is the main restaurant at the exhibition centre, in the USSR, he was considered one of the most prestigious along with the “Prague” and “Moscow”, and to get there, there was a record six months ahead.
Let’s see what’s left of it.
1. In the mid-1920s — early 1930s of the last century, on the shore of the Central pond was supposed to build several large cafes and restaurants. Built in 1937, the architecture of the “Main restaurant” — as it was called at first — resembled “Chinese” pavilions, typical of the French Rococo. The main facade is oriented towards the Exhibition of the pond, where the designed main entrance to the restaurant.
2. On the ground floor was opened two restaurant halls for 180 seats each. They were illuminated by large crystal chandeliers. The luxurious atmosphere complement the gorgeous mirrors and furniture made of walnut and oak, unfortunately, lost in the 1990-ies.
3. Restaurant 1954 found the poetic name “Golden spike” and the Grand-the Grand appearance. White columned loggia with terraces and easy decorative portico makes the building air as the best examples of architecture of the South. Guests were welcomed by a huge lobby decorated with artificial marble. Its main attraction was the dome roof is one of the most beautiful in the interior of the agricultural exhibition and perfectly preserved to our days.
4. In the state of the Main restaurant worked more than 400 people. It was originally designed to work in the summer, but with the organization of the USSR switched to year-round services for visitors. In those years, the restaurant “Golden spike” was considered one of the most prestigious along with the “Prague” and “Moscow”.
5. Restaurant menu only in 1954 there were about 40 dishes, and the total number of servings prepared reached 17 000. In the menu you can always see the delicacies; 13 types of lettuce, 6 types of soups-18 types of hot dishes and a variety of cold snacks, drinks and sweets were always in the restaurant selection.
6. Polypal of the restaurant is decorated like the altar of the temple of Venus and Roma in Rome is an active quote in the architecture of the first half of the nineteenth century. There you can enjoy the amazing panoramic view of the Exhibition.
7. Remember the movie “Mirrors”…
8. In the 1970s, the “Golden spike” almost turned into a closed institution for his visit, there was a record six months in advance! Here often dined with celebrities and foreign delegations.
9. Rich halls of the restaurant once glittered with crystal chandeliers and silver mirrored walls.
10. From the terraces of the restaurant revealed a panorama of the exhibition site with countless evergreen buildings. Beautiful architecture, a fountain “Kolos”, unusual flowers, and of course the gorgeous ponds, creating ideal conditions for visitors to enjoy.
11. And in those ponds were carried huge carp. News about the wonderful fishing spread quickly among fishermen. The secret to the unprecedented fishing just opened every three days, late in the evening, for ponds up tank with live fish. Of them in the ponds produced fish are grown in suburban farms. Further, the range of “wildlife” has been increased and the fishermen enjoyed not only the carp, and carp and sturgeon. It was a wonderful time, right?)
At the end of 1980-ies the restaurant was closed for upgrades. Sluggish construction and design works dried up by the end of the 1990s. Later, until 2013, the building was used as warehouse space.
© 2017 – 2019, paradox. All rights reserved.