This lake kills.
Lake Natron is a salt lake situated in the vast African great rift valley in Northern Tanzania, near the border with Kenya and just North-East of Ngorongoro crater. Hidden between the volcanic hills and deep craters, lake Natron is the lowest point of the rift valley at an altitude of 600 meters above sea level – and is probably the most alkaline lake in the world.
The climate in the location of the severe lake – it’s hot, often extremely dry air and dust, which is not very conducive to tourist travel. But those who still dare to make a journey to lake Natron, get the stunning views that can only be found in Tanzania.
1. The main distinguishing feature of the lake is, of course, it is extremely unusual bright red color of the water. But it looks not always.
2. Natron lake is quite shallow (its depth is not more than three meters) and changes the shoreline depending on the water level, which changes due to the strong evaporation, leaving a concentration of salts and other minerals, particularly sodium carbonate (or, in fact, natrona).
4. The lake feeds the river Ewaso Nyiro (“River of brown water” in the language of the Samburu tribe) and mineral-rich hot springs.
5. When strong evaporation on the lake surface crust is formed from alkaline salts, which are also often painted in red or pink as a result of life living in the lake microorganisms.
6. As the evaporation of water during the dry season, the salinity of the lakes increases to a level where living in it, microorganisms are lovers of salt begin to multiply wildly.
7. These organisms that live in conditions of high salinity, halophilic cyanobacteria, have the ability to photosynthesize, like plants. In the process of photosynthesis is red pigment which gives a bright red color deep water and orange smaller.
9. High water temperature (up to 41°C) and high and very varied content of salts in the lake is not conducive to the development in it of nature. However, the lake is the habitat of millions of flamingos and home to algae, invertebrates, and the edges where the water is less salty – even fish – alkaline the telapias gate.
10. Natron is the only East Africa, the breeding ground of small Flamingo under the threat of extinction. The lake is a safe breeding place, as it is poisonous alkaline environment is a barrier to predators trying to get close to the nests at seasonal formed in the evaporative Islands.
11. Flamingos gather on the salt lakes of the region, where they feed on spirulina (blue-green algae with red pigments).
© 2017, z-news.link. All rights reserved.