Kiev could “certainly” launch “pre-emptive” missile strikes on neighboring Belarus, Secretary of Ukraine’s security Council Alexey Danilov said Tuesday.
“If necessary, if the Commander-in-Chief makes such decision, it will be made,” Danilov told Ukraine 24 broadcaster.
The threat comes amid repeated allegations of Belarusian troops allegedly taking part in the ongoing military operation against Ukraine launched by Russia last week. No solid evidence of Belarus’ involvement, however, has emerged with Minsk insisting it has not been involved into the operation.
The stance was reiterated by Belarus’ President Alexander Lukashenko earlier in the day, who said that all the country’s troops remain at their permanent bases and installations. At the same time, Lukashenko cautioned against issuing threats towards his country, warning that Belarus was ready to defend itself if necessary.