One of the best movies of my childhood.
While in the 1980’s in Hollywood filming “Terminator” and other “Predators” in approaching the collapse of the Soviet Union rocked two cinema event, which without a shadow of irony have the right to be called a cult. Adults still vast country heartily empathized Brazilian “Cinderella” Izaura, and children every summer waiting for the return to screens futuristic kind of magic called “guest from the future”.
For many the culmination of the summer holidays were the same five happy days, when one of the two or three available channels little girl Alice huge eyes staring across the television screen, promising “beautiful far”. And because there is little doubt that let not soon, but someday, in the new century, we will see ourselves Institute time KOSMOZOO, humanoid robots, machines with free results of different delicacies and, of course, will be able to fly on a flip or wave rest on the moon.
Probably every generation should have their idols and islets memory that nice to come back after decades. For someone such Islands will be the “Harry Potter” or songs by max Korzh, and then, 20-30 years ago, all the boys and girls had “alisonangel”. This year the film “guest from the future” a kind of anniversary of a legendary television series began filming in 1983. what difficulties had to face the film crew and what tricks they used to film the most spectacular scenes, we describe in this article.
1. In the 80-90-ies of the last century it was difficult to find the boy who is not interested in science fiction. For such, of course, the most interesting were the first two series of “Guests,” in which Director Pavel Arsenov not without the help of McGee tried to lift the curtain on the future, which, if lucky, had to wait for all of us.
2. “Beautiful far” greeted the audience and Kolya Gerasimov sterile cleanliness of the Institute time. The inner part of the building was shot in the pavilion at the Studio to them. Gorky. The room with the time machine plastered with white Wallpaper and was illuminated as bright as possible. Imitating the endless corridors of the Institute, the scenery really was relatively small and the effect of entanglement was created only because of the acting and special shooting from different angles.
3. For lighting corridors “future” cost standard at the time incandescent bulbs. They inserted into special boxes of frosted glass, and voila — it turned out very futuristic at the time lighting.
4. Surrounded by greenery, the entrance to the Institute time filmed in the Botanical garden of Moscow. But the building itself — may not be more than the layout height of about 50 cm he was hung on the ropes and promising combined with glade, which allegedly was the Institute.
According to the art Director of the film Olga of Cruceni, what today is easily done on the computer then had a long and painstakingly created manually. Take the spaceport. For the shared plans the filmmakers drew his upper part, which is then on the tape it was necessary to combine with the bottom part of the scenery. “The movie was shot on film, where you had to work with “masks”, that is, removed one part of the image, and then “imprinted” with another. It was necessary also to combine the light, color in both images, so that the connection line was invisible. The work of many professions, including art Director, strategist, painter, costume designer, make-up artist were combined in one single unit under the leadership of chief operator of the picture,” — says Olga kravchenya.
5. To create a “cosmic” atmosphere inside the spaceport was decided to use glass tubes used in chemical plants. This crew experienced will survive if the brittle material to the desired episode.
6. KOSMOZOO partially filmed in the Botanical garden of the capital of the USSR, and as the entrance came the area close to VDNKH metro station. Initially, the space zoo wanted to shoot in Gagra — painfully appropriate nature, exotic. However, due to prolonged inclement weather the crew had to leave with nothing, turned his attention to the Moscow landscape. Of the shot in Gagra material useful only footage of waves that can be seen behind the doors of “bus” with instant teleportation.
7. By the way, the appearance is unusual for a fiction flat plywood bus invented by the Director of the film. Pavel Arsenov didn’t want to come up and so mozolivka eyes in every film of similar subjects consoles and a heap of buttons. Why would in the future not to make the process instantaneous movement as simple as possible — opened the door, and you’re on the other side of the Earth?
8. With the mielofon was more difficult. The device, which brewed the whole “mess” is not really described in the original, had to come up with it yourself. The designers had a lot of options for the look of the device for reading minds. But after the Director saw the crystals used in the production of digital cameras, we settled on the idea of “crystalline mielofon”.
9. Much harder forces the Studio to make a time machine. The staff of the prop shop used to create a historic atmosphere with the help of molding simulation and quirky “fabulous” texture, but the shiny plastic proved to be their strength. Something had to be done to order and the panel will fit the Rubik’s cube. Why is it? Yes, simply because in the 1980 Hungarian puzzle has been extremely popular.
10. With a time machine linked to the most advanced Soviet cinema of the time the video effect. Remember lightning, the rainbow, the stars and the contour lines that accompanied the journey If time? All this was done manually. Optical effects created in the laser lab, were filmed and then shots the hard way are combined. On one such frame leaving at best a month.
11. Famous old building in the basement which today was a time machine, found quite by chance on the street, the houses of which almost all were demolished. Basement space entirely is a built in hall decorations. The wall was painted with African motifs, to add an air of mystery. Columns made from foam and cardboard to the explosion in the last episode of the film is not to hurt the kids. Rings of foam were covered with cardboard, sawed at predetermined locations, laid there squibs at the right time and blew up.
12. Perhaps one of the most spectacular episodes of “Guests from the future” steel frames that are the flips. Among the Minsk schoolchildren even legendary, they say, in Moscow really is a ride with the flying cabs! In fact, the cabin was plain, but extremely expensive props. In Lithuania they have produced five pieces, each flip cost about 5 thousand rubles — solid for the time the amount you could spend on these “the Zhiguli”.
13. In addition, there were several miniature copies of flips with models of people in them. They were used for shooting long-range plans, with high flying aircraft. These toys are hung on the wire to the crane with a boom of about 20 meters, and then selected a suitable background, for example the hotel “Cosmos”. If wire is not shining, it was painted the color of the background.
14. Full-size heavy flips with real actors set in the back of trucks on special design in the form of sticking to the sides of machines, bars. When the frame at the same time there are two flip, then needed two trucks that were supposed to go around smoothly and with pinpoint accuracy. Sometimes such episodes noticeable too sharp wiggle — so the illusion of flight was broken by potholes on the road. One day during filming, even stripped going forward “Lada” — had to pay a fine of 200 rubles.
15. According to the memoirs filmmakers on the set fully laid out everything — and adult actors, and children. Who played the Merry fellow At Vyacheslav Innocent, despite his size, he was prepared to do all the tricks which he, however, did not allow it. And Mikhail Kononov so often improvised, that was so much better scenarios.
17. Evgeny Gerasimov masterfully translated to the screen of the robot Werther is a hero, And invented specifically for the film. Why invent complex mechanisms or recourse to expensive animation, if one person using the gait and the targeted speech was able to show the ideal robot of the future? Plus, of course, the costume wig and makeup.
18. At the murder scene of Werther in itself put a few metal plates with attached cutters. Evgeny Gerasimov himself pushed the button that activates the fuse, and thus “burned” myself for about a minute and a half while the pirates shot him. By the way, the laser beams — regular hand-drawn animation that exposure overlap on the finished footage with plastic “blasters” in the hands of a Rat and the man W.
19. Literally a heavy burden had to carry Alex Fomkina, inimitable Kolya Gerasimov. Remember the fourth episode where Alice perched on the shoulders of his girlfriend Julia Fungal and wearing a long coat, featuring a very tall lady with huge dark glasses? The role of Julia is not physically able to carry Natasha Gusev. Came to the aid of Alexey Fomkin. He was wearing socks, sandals, school uniform, seated him on the shoulders of Alice and sent to walk down the street.
20. The very Natasha Gusev taught the right way to run, to take a spectacular six-metre long jump in gym class. The girl had to leap through the camera operator, which was covered with sand. The role of Alice Selezneva was later told that was afraid to fall on the operator and break his neck or back. Fortunately, all went well.
21. But in the episode where Alice knocks the bus, filmed the girl stunt rider. She ran at the same speed, and right before the “attack” of the trolley is accelerated, running on. Thus the viewer does not see the moment of “collision”, since the frame blocked by trolley. However, if you look closely, you will see and Jogging, and acceleration torque, and flashing through the trolley legs (it was the end of the second series).
22. These “bloopers” in the film a lot. For example, the crew did not like what happened in episode KOSMOZOO, when Alice tries to read the thoughts of a crocodile. Predator made out of foam, and in principle it was very similar to a real alligator. But the divers, supervising the layout, not deep enough and dropped it into the water. It was clear that this is not real crocodile, but still too light, floating on the surface. Particularly attentive viewers may even consider divers.
During the filming of “visitors from the future” took two long years. During this time many of the children involved in the shooting, had time to grow. This is especially noticeable when you consider that the first scenes were filmed with the full-scale filming of “the present” and “future” was postponed at the last stage.
The authors of the series of our childhood formed a different fate. Unfortunately, for some of them, the future was not so bright, which promised Alice. But many of those who remember the film, and today I cling to flipnote to the spaceport, walk in KOSMOZOO or to open the door of the bus in Minsk and to go somewhere in the Maldives. Will it ever be implemented?
When during one of the interviews with the now adult performer role Bori Messerer asked if he would like to live in the future shown in the film, the actor replied: “the Question is incorrect. To live in this world is impossible, because it is so unreal…” “it Was clear even in 1984 that all there is depicted, it is not futurology. No. This is some completely sterile world, which was necessary only for the realization of certain ideas. He is fuzzy and unreal. As if the center focus, and the edges are all blurry… This world is, unfortunately, in my opinion, a stamp of the utopias of the sixties, from the same series, and the strugatskys. There is around science, technological progress exploded, little kids do science. And now we see that the science we have, and have not has a tendency to exercise it the place that dreamed by Bulychev and others. The reality is that 85% are not interested in serious things, and all sorts of rubbish. And the rest are so overwhelmed with the problems of life, that nothing else no time left”, he added.
© 2017 – 2019, paradox. All rights reserved.