Overview photos of the most beautiful Italian Dolomites.
The camera lens got cozy towns, scenic rivers, spectacular lakes, fabulous mountain valleys, winding switchbacks and mountain passes.
Photography and text by Peter Kosyh
I was lucky to visit in the Dolomites twice in the fall and summer. Your coverage of this stunning mountain world heritage of UNESCO I will start with the November trip. In the window through the dark and the clouds looked through the snow-capped ridges of the foothills of the Italian Alps. The plane was landing in Bergamo, the time the eleventh hour of the evening. Received at the airport your Fiat 500, go to the hotel in the Old town.
Waking up before dawn I hastened to the walls “Sitta Alta”, to admire the beautiful morning view from them.
2. Bergamo is a very beautiful and friendly town with beautiful varied architecture and unique atmosphere. The old part of town is on top of a hill. Afterwards, climb the highest mountain to be there to see the Cathedral, the Church of St. Maria Maggiore and the Palace of the Mind. Misty view was that it is necessary.
3. In November, the nature here is full of rich and vibrant colors of autumn, and the trees beckon to rip them ripe, beautiful and juicy fruits. Sorry that this is the persimmon he could reach only my telephoto lens.
4. Before leaving for the Dolomites decided to walk downtown the main city. On Sundays the atmosphere of the holiday: everywhere fairs, festivities and entertainment.
5. We leave for Venice highway, then go North. The road gradually gains height, turn in Riva del Garda.
Inspection of this picturesque place begins from the observation deck. It offers a magnificent view of the Northern part of lake Garda. It is the end and the foothills begin the real Alps.
6. The old town of Riva del Garda is very cozy and well maintained. No wonder he is considered one of the best vacation spots in Italy. But now is not the season. On the almost deserted streets you only meet single pensioners and fishermen. All cafes and restaurants are closed. The scenic waterfront is an unusually empty.
7. Cost roofing just to get from a backpack bread as immediately flocked to the neighborhood all the birds. Sparrows, gulls and pigeons were so hungry that snatched the pieces right out of my hand and fought for every crumb.
8. But we need to move further in the direction of Austria. The beauty of the mountains in the fall is amazing. Over manicured green slopes, hovering clouds, the yellow vineyards add contrast to an already beautiful picture. The Alps at this time of year remind puzzles, the pattern which is on each individual mount original.
9. Almost every rock under the clouds build beautiful medieval castles and houses.
10. Bolzano before we drove off the highway and climbed the serpentine road in the mountains, there to enjoy the beautiful scenery, take a walk and breathe fresh mountain air. Beauty surrounds on all sides, and we are among the clouds.
11. The next morning we had to be in Oduvanchikova valley…
It’s so dark outside. Thick clouds surrounded the mountain valley to Bolzano. On the street a light drizzle. Soft and warm bed in no way releases me from his embrace in the cool and damp autumn mountains. As much as I might wish, but we need to stand up and follow the planned program. After Breakfast, we leave for one of the most beautiful places of the Dolomites, it is Oduvanchikova valley. Off the main road, we rushed up, seemingly endless mountain road. The dark sky, which until recently hung over my head, now appeared before my eyes. Dawn very slowly. The higher we go, the denser become the clouds.
12. Honestly, the morning in Oduvanchikova the valley I saw in a different light (orange sunshine, curly clouds and other beauty). But now the end of November — the time of heavy snowfall. Weather makes its own adjustments, and we have to rely on this fat-misty morning.
13. In Oduvanchikova valley is a wonderful village of Santa Magdalena. After a bit of wandering up there. Friendly locals in Tyrolean outfits already wish us good morning. Some of them at such an early hour chopping wood and someone gets a tractor, the workers started to repair the road, a team of lumberjacks ready to check out on the plot. Got to the meeting and a police car. Why is it in these parts? Then, perhaps, the most peaceful place on the planet, you’d better sent them out to Sicily:)
14. Santa Magdalena is a very pleasant and quiet location at the foot of magnificent mountain ranges, with beautiful Alpine houses, many beautiful flowers on the streets in the summer, households, churches, rivers. Climb to the observation deck to admire fantastic views of the mountain peaks. In the shot below you can see a wonderful trehtysyachnika: Sass, Rigas and Turchetta, who did not dare peek out from behind the clouds:) Sad, but still beautiful.
15. I had to include “the time machine” and travel back in time seven months in advance. I was without permission on someone’s garden and was so impressed by the sunset light. And you, dear readers, what kind?
16. Dolomite sharp teeth and strive to capture some lush cloud, reflective stunningly beautiful rainbow in the warm evening light. Such beauty everywhere.
17. The chapel of St. Johann alone modestly stands on a large Alpine meadow.
The chapel of St. Johann alone modestly stands on a large Alpine meadow.
18. Finish this inspection of this most picturesque valley of dandelions which I never saw. We descended back down to then climb onto the most beautiful Alpine passes.
19. Mountain range of the Sella-group had to go round twice. Rising slightly uphill, the road forked, a sign read: “go to the Left on the Passo Gardena, fall, go right – on the Passo Sella will get”
In November, the lot fell on cello. 1500 meters road through clouds were up to around 2200. The snow was added with each turn of the road. From somewhere in the clouds, illuminated by the sun, looked through the cream of a cliff.
20. Happy one — the road was cleaned, and the ice was only in some places. A magnificent view of winter snow-capped Alps was worth such extreme. Rising above the clouds, we for the first time in 2 days I saw the sun.
21. At the end of this pass, and breaking a couple more similar, we were finally in the capital of winter Olympic games 1956 Cortina d’ampezzo. This is a panoramic view of the city and valley.
22. Back to my “time machine”… Again July. At the fork in Val Gardena, I roll up has left. It’s already dark. Rise to the mark 2100, for Passo Gardena. Despite the middle of summer, the street is only +4. Overnight in a hotel at the pass.
23. Morning starts, as always, early. Climbing on one of the slopes in front of me opened a magnificent view of the serpentine, rising from the valley of Gardena.
24. This beautiful chapel on the mountain pass built during this century. She fitted in perfectly with the beautiful mountain scenery.
25. Next to her, side by side these are the barracks (or huts or barns). If not for the mountains in the background, I would think that it is the Russian provinces, and not the center of Europe.
26. Having moved down from Passo Gardena, I headed through the winding and narrow gorge to the village of La Valle.
27. The smell of manure, which is directly dumped along the road, and immediately made me feel rustic flavor. But it in no way influenced the positive impression of this beautiful place.
28. Climbing to the top, the road ended, I got out of the car to admire the magnificent view of the mountain valley. The company I made the black cat back home.
29. La Valle really reminded me of Oduvanchikova the valley. A very beautiful place where you can stay away from the urban jungle, to breathe the clean mountain air and admire the fantastic mountain scenery.
30. To stay here will not, there is still a very rich program. Making a couple more stops I headed next. After 15 miles the road led me to the banks of river rienza.
31. The next place I stopped, the pearl of Dolomites — Lago di Braes. It is located at an altitude of almost 1,500 metres above sea level. Everyone who plans a route for the Alpine parts of Italy should be sure to visit here.
32. Hardly finding a place in a three Parking lots, I went for a walk along the shore of emerald lake. The people here dumped buses, so it does not feel lost in the mountains. The path along the lake resembles a decent sidewalk in the city.
33. However, this does not detract from the beauty of Lago di Braes and does not cause discomfort. Around the lake can be circumvented in about an hour, having overcome a distance of about 5 kilometers. It is a pity that the weather was cloudy without a single hint of light.
34. A short walk, I headed to the car, but the cafe next door beckoned me fresh and fragrant pastries, had to half an hour to stay for lunch and then to visit another lake nearby. Meet lake Dobiacco (Toblach si).
35. In November we’re caught in a terrible snowfall, but looked at the beautiful swans, which from day to day had to fly in the direction of the warm Adriatic.
36. Straight it’s only 150 kilometers.
37. My route was structured differently, but forgotten in La Valle tripod for the camera, made some adjustments and the next place I turned was the pass Valparola and its lake. On the pass even in July, snow still lies.
38. After admiring the lake Valparola with height, I decided to approach the shore closer. Barely came near, I noticed a creature, which darted near the shore. From a distance it was hard to identify him. Helped me, in store for such cases, “long” lens.
39. In the Internet I read that if you are very lucky ,in the Dolomites you can meet Alpine marmots. It turns out, I was lucky. However, once I tried to get closer to him, he immediately hid behind numerous rocks. This is a photo from the find Groundhog:)
40. Now I will tell about one more lake of the Dolomites. From Bolzano it goes to a straight road that begins with a three-kilometer tunnel. To the lake is about 25 miles away. On the way stop at Vilshofen to closer look interesting chapel.
41. The lake is called Carrara met it is very overcast and sometimes rainy. Hope for good weather, almost was not, so had to settle for these fat types
42. Decided to go back and drink coffee in the Parking lot. A miracle happened, after just 15 minutes. Suddenly, the clouds retreated and the sun finally shined on the surface of the lake.
43. This frame “Mountain range Latemar in the reflection of the lake Carrera” took second place in one of the photo contests National Georgaphic.
44. Enough to travel to the Dolomites, I headed in the direction of probably the most picturesque mountain massif of the Tre Cime Di Lavaredo, there to meet Alpine sunset. After crossing through the pass of Tre Crocs, I found myself near the lake Misurina. Standing on the shores of Misurina with a Cup of tea and hot Apple strudel bought at the store on the next street, admiring the stunning view of mountain lake.
45. Driving a few kilometers up, I was on another lake, called Entorno.
46. Carpets of colorful and fragrant Alpine flowers and herbs surround almost the whole shore of this fabulous lake. The weather is gorgeous in the late afternoon it finally cleared.
47. Risking to miss the last Sunny rays, from Andorno I rise up. The road I blocked by the barrier. Paying 20 avrorova, passing. Coiling of the coils 15 is not my usual serpentine, I found myself somewhere in the rain clouds, and the thermometer again +4. Shelter-hostel Auronzo, located 100 meters away from me, barely visible. Zdrasste arrived! Where is the sun, which 10 minutes ago was shining in my face? Where the sunset and the most important question: where, actually, the Trident of the Tre Cime di Lavaredo? I’m not one of those people who are discouraged, but here I obviously wanted more. Leaving some stuff at the shelter, I went to seek my fortune straight to the cloud, hoping to see something…
48. After a mile, the cloud abruptly ceased, and above me loomed the majestic mountain peaks of Lavaredo. Along the way I met such a beautiful chapel, which is built right on the edge of the abyss. Light the area around it seemed very symbolic.
49. Stunning mountain scenery all around, only manage to turn my head and press the button on the camera. Leaping through the small pass, I finally saw the Tre Cime from the other side. Saw exactly what was pictured. Here it is sunset in the Alps.
50. However, the miracle did not last long, in this light I managed to make only a few frames as the sun disappeared, first behind clouds and then over the neighboring mountain peaks. But thank you for this. At the foot are three small lakes, “”no name” with crystal clear glacier water.
51. Before nightfall I had to reach the shelter, Auronzo. Route “around Tre Cime” got about nine kilometers.
52. The next place I will visit is the magnificent, hidden in the mountains of lake Feder.
53. After Cortina D’ampezzo I had to slow down and look for the right path. Fortunately, next to it was an information booth and tables. Leaving a car on the roadside, I started the six kilometre ascent.
54. At first the track was relatively flat and was held near a beautiful mountain gorge. After crossing the bridge, I ran into a very steep mountain to climb which I had. Test worthy of a good workout.
55. A lot of what I’ve looked up in the Dolomites, but the Federal be remembered for its unique and nothing like the scenery and atmosphere of Alpine tranquility.
56. Went down to the car I’m much faster and headed towards the already mentioned pass Valparola. A little before him, not reaching, I left the car in the Parking lot next to the expanded division of NATO troops and began a two-kilometer ascent to the lake Limites.
57. Along the way I met several fortifications during the First World war. Due to its availability, this route is very popular, especially among tourists with children.
58. Lake Limites not very big — just 100 meters in length. On all sides it is surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges. The batter on the bottom of the lake, the keys create the illusion of diversity and raznovidnosti water.
59. To the mountains of Cinque Torri from here at hand.
60. To climb to its foot either by lift or by car. As the lift finishes work early enough, I drove to the mountain. The walk is one kilometre long to the foot of the Cinque Torri labor, of course, was not.
61. There is a WWI Museum under the open sky. Everywhere trenches and dugouts.
The reconstructed dugout, put up mannequins of soldiers and dummy weapons of those times.
62. The highest peak has a height of 2361 m. About five years ago, the massif was partially destroyed from the second peak came off and dropped a huge boulder. On the cliffs of Cinque train climbers.
This is the last place from my story. I planned to stay here until late in the evening, but changeable wind again was dragged from the numerous clouds, it began to rain. Realizing that in this way the Dolomites told me “goodbye!”, I got in the car and went to long way to the coast of the Adriatic…
© 2016, z-news.link. All rights reserved.